Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tá mé Gaeilge inniu! I am Irish today!

I was reading an article in a travel magazine the other day, on visiting Ireland around St. Patrick's, when I started feeling nostalgic for that beautiful country. It was a strong feeling that also included thoughts about how much the Greek and the Irish people are culturally related. The upcoming celebration of the Greek Independence Day (March 25) here in Greece -both a national and a religious holiday, celebrating the annunciation of the Theotokos in the orthodox church- brought to mind the amazing celebrations that take place for St. Paddy's -which one has to see in order to believe! So for all of you who can't actually be in Ireland on March 17, I give you some Irish flavor from Ireland-based sellers on Etsy!

Starting with Iris O'Connor, I must say I've been watching her shop for some time now, even from the 'irisdesign' days. I fell in love with her Strange Flowers series, but I also find her Irish village mixed media creations irresistibly charming... See for yourself:





Next in this tour will be Paget, from scottmccarthy, with her amazing Blue Flowers Grey Stripes Cushion and her Small Toy Car Plates. Oh, yes! Nostalgia can be fun!!!





And now, off to see some very creative knitting! Lilycobweb is another favorite of mine, with her Wild Irish Rose Clutch Purse and her La Vie en Rose Flower Scarf, and her shop surely has something to please every taste!





Feeling dazzled? Believe me, I KNOW... But wait till you've seen it all... I totally loved TanyaMac's shop announcement: 'SEEK and you shall find!' -it's one of my mottos too! Don't these Irish Heart beauties fill your heart with love?



And... over to Carol, from WeeCuteTreasures. I love how her creations are innocent, sweet, light and airy, I feel I can actually relate to them! Here are Irish Clothespin Colleen and RED Birthday Boy:





Or... maybe you just need some new clothes, to celebrate spring! What I love about Janey's shop, is that she makes clothes that are a unique combination of fun, youthfulness and comfort! For example, see her Molly Candy Pink TShirt and her Dolly Gray Print Skirt. You see what I mean? She makes it look so simple, and that's Art!





They say that food connects people. So, lastly, to celebrate this connection I see between the Greek and the Irish, I am giving you Masher and Whisk, a print by bridbird



Hopefully, dear readers, you enjoyed our little 'trip' to Ireland as much as I enjoyed it. I sure feel Irish today! Happy St. Paddy's Day, wherever you are from!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff! I went to ♥ your shop and realized it was already hearted :) We have a friend from Xanthi, have always wanted to visit Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those small toy car plates! I wish I had those on hand when my son was born!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aawww thank you Amoronia for including my Ballinasnoot village and the Strange Flowers....it is quite a warm, fuzzy feeling to read about your creations on someone else's blog :D

    and I find myself in familiar company and amongst favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post! Its great to see so many lovely products form Ireland,thank you! Was is Greece many moons ago, and have always wanted to return. Thanks for including me,Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post Dimitra. Makes me proud to be Irish! Thank you so much for including a couple of my little dolls. Have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. Carol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Dimitra! Delighted to be in such good company:) Happy St. Partick's Day to you and yours....you're an honorary Irishwoman now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo Amor...!!!! great post.. everything is beautiful..!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely post Dimitra!
    Ireland is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy St Patrick's Day Dimitra and a great post! Lovely see so many friends in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post Dimitra:) Thank you so much! Paget

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for including my masher! lovely blog post!

    ReplyDelete