Saturday, September 25, 2010

Staying Behind

A very dear friend of mine is leaving Greece to study, and she likes this song very much, so I am really doing this post for her. I do have a feeling however that it is more about those who stay behind...

If you love Sokratis Malamas, you will definitely love this. Music and lyrics by Thanasis Papakonstantinou, first performance: 2006.




IN THE VALLEY OF TEMPI

In the valley of Tempi
-the terror of train drivers-
there is an old plane tree
alone and desperate

Who drinks from the river's
troubled, holy water
He drinks and spreads his roots
deep down in that untold of place

And whenever he has a temper
he bends and falls down onto the rails
he grabs the train by the ear
«Do not go past Yevgeli»

Pineios told me his secret,
talkative Pineios, the river
that he once was a man
whose children had emigrated.

(My translation)

2 comments:

  1. I used to listen to Malamas a lot-my musical preferences have changed but still he is top,good luck to your friend,hope she will not be among those who will root in foreign lands.

    ReplyDelete