Saturday, July 16, 2011

Interview with Artists I Admire: Magaly Ohika

My latest fascination is with the powerful, positive art of Magaly Ohika, aka itsybitsyspill.





Have you received formal education in Art?

I studied art at the fashion Institute of Technology for 7years in NYC. But I started doodling art when I was 5
years old. My mother knew I was born with the gift because it was all I wanted to do all day every day.





What are the major influences on your work, and how would you describe your style?

Children, the emotions, human nature and animals are my influences. The style of my work varies really. It depends on the emotions in that given moment. My style is a whimsy reality distortion of imperfections. To me, is beautiful to be able to look at something to appreciate and see beauty in a flaw. I'm inspired by the complexity of human nature. I turn day dreams and nightmares creatively into abstract pieces that are whimsically lucid and at times not so lucid. People are known to be most complicated creatures and their behavior overwhelm and intrigue me. I carefully note each of their imperfections and hidden secrets they unknowingly display in their actions. Children are my best subject. They are like fireflies illuminating love, joy and innocence that some of us have lost or afraid to embrace. I visit the child within that inspires me to create daily.





How do you choose the colors for your art?

I choose my colors by the definition of play - Fun and whimsical!





Would you say your art is affordable? Is that important to you?

In the economy that we live today, it is difficult to buy a piece that is $2000 dollars. So yes my work is affordable. Not everyone has that kind of money to spend. I do small piece that people can afford and other large pieces as well. It's just the way it is right now.





Could you tell us a few things about your creative process?

The creative process - When I was a child, I pictured the real world as a circus. It was the only way to cope with the ugly reality I saw around me. Transforming ugliness into beauty. I realized within the ugliness of things lay an underlying charm I accepted because it was real and true. Life as I saw it became my play ground taking bits and pieces of it and turning them into pieces of art. I'm in love with capacity of knowing that I can feel everything even when it isn't pretty. I don't restrict myself creatively. I absorb it, channel what ever might be hidden and throw it up as soon as I'm ready. The idea of perfection in a piece of art does not appeal to me. But, the imperfection that my art conveys does. I like my art the way it comes to me. My paintings convey emotion.





What do you like to do in your free time?

On my free time I love to walk with my dog write, my journal with a glass of red and meditate at the beach.





I am sure you will agree that this powerful art work makes everyone long to live in Magaly's world! Let me know what you think in your comments below.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic artist, awesome work!!!
    Thanks Demi for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very beautiful and sweeet creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a talented artist! Her artwork is filled with beautiful colors and emotions, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a fan for a long time! It's so great to find out more about this wonderful artist!
    Loved the interview Demi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great artist!!! Love her work and the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Demi! This is lovely!!!

    Un abrazo fuerte y besos muaaaaaaa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her use of colour and that fabulous red!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your process..
    Love your work =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  9. so beautiful: nostalgic, romantic...

    ReplyDelete