Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dolce Gabbana AW13-14: Byzantine inspiration

I must confess it had been a while since I was overwhelmed by a fashion show. Dolce & Gabbana unveiled their Fall-Winter 2013-14 collection, part of the Milan Fashion Week, in Milan, Italy, Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013.

These photos are from backstage, you will find many more at their Facebook page.













What do you think of the collection? The Byzantine inspiration is obvious, this is amazing art we see here. The religious inspiration I would say looks more like an element of fashion, as the elements that are stressed are those of wealth and luxury, quite the opposite of what religion teaches. Well, I guess people in Byzantium were a lot more secular than we thought!

3 comments:

  1. Overwhelmed doesn't even begin to describe it my dear Demi! I'm not sure if you saw my post three days ago but I was expecting this Byzantine *fire*. Seeing mosaics on textiles was kind of the next thing following Chanel's Byzance Collection. I just didn't know WHO would do it and WHEN exactly. I wanted to write my thoughts on this prediction back then but I was *overwhelmed* with other things. About the Byzantine luxury, yes. Byzantine society was also *secular* but its Christian character coupled with the Ancient Greek past made Byzantine times truly unique. There are many things inherent in modern society that can be traced back to the Byzantines. But for that we would need a Byzantinologist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your posts!!! I was expecting you would blog about this :) I love Byzantine culture, society in general can't help but be secular anyway, but the way they did so many things shows how progressive they were in many respects, so both its Christian character and its Greek heritage indeed left their mark. I love Byzantine history as well :) I just don't like it when some people in Greece today tend to think of this period in our history as strictly 'religious' and 'dark', simply because they haven't studied history very well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the people in Greece and their beliefs about this period and the reasons are plenty (και δεν θα πω άλλα - είσαι έξυπνη και καταλαβαίνεις). Perhaps they would change their point of view when they see Byzantine art on D&G's collection?...

    ReplyDelete