Friday, June 11, 2010

Amor Vincit Omnia - the Necklace

Virgil (Publius Vergilius Maro) lived and flourished in Rome (70-19 BC) and was a classical Roman poet, one of Rome's greatest. He is most famous for his Aeneid, a twelve book epic describing the founding of Latium by the Trojan hero Aeneas, and two pastoral poems - the Eclogues and Georgics.

'Amor vincit omnia' comes from Eclogue X, line 69. It is one of the most beautiful verses in Latin and in English it translates as 'Love Conquers All'. I made this necklace as an entry for the weekly EST challenge, hosted by ingermaaike, who picked the theme 'Roman Empire'. I wanted to celebrate the beauty of the phrase, and also to present the origin of Amoronia, the name of my jewelry line. So here is Amor Vincit Omnia, the Necklace, by Amoronia on Etsy:




I made the necklace using an antique brass oval setting and faceted Czech glass beads in jet black graduating sizes. I also used brass wire to connect everything. I finished the necklace with a beautiful antique brass chain. Wouldn't you just love wearing this phrase?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats dear! Why don't you make something with Homer or Euripides or Sofokles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have thought about it, and I have even made a list with my favorite quotes (have to be really short, so that they can be incorporated into a design), but I can't decide on the language. It will depend on each quote separately, I suppose. I will soon have new things to show, and I appreciate feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of an "Ancient Greece" theme for a post these days with draped dresses that evoke Greece and when I saw you jewelry I immediately said that if it were in Greek it would really spicy up the post. In case you eventually do it, I will be the first to know!Apparently your mother tongue is English, right? I loved what you had to say on my mosaic blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm bilingual :) And I love Antigone, so I'm preparing something from Sophocles - in Greek...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful necklace!!! And I absolutely love Virgil's verse that you have made into your motto and signature!

    ReplyDelete